We take pride in our strong school-parent partnership!
We take pride in our strong school-parent partnership, which supports student development and helps to provide a welcoming atmosphere and community. At the beginning of the school year, the parents of each grade level elect two parent representatives. Together, all of the parent representatives form the GIST Parent Council.
The Parent Council meets on a monthly basis and extends an invitation to all parents to attend. The minutes of each meeting are compiled and made available for reference after each meeting.
In addition to those meetings, we also host a range of exciting events like Flea Markets, and Parents’ nights out to Ripley’s Aquarium and to Second City. These gatherings provide an excellent opportunity for parents to connect with each other and build a strong sense of community.
In previous years, the Parent Council has been actively involved in initiatives such as enhancing the value proposition of our school uniforms and organizing a warm school lunch. As we continually adapt to changing needs and opportunities, we remain open to revisiting these topics or exploring new ones.
We welcome any questions, ideas, feedback, or other matters that parents wish to bring to our attention. Please feel free to contact us.
Duties of the Class Representatives:
- Liaise with the homeroom teacher.
- Help to resolve issues affecting a class.
- Help to raise funds for classroom projects as needed.
- Advise parents on topics arising in the classroom.
Duties of the Parent Council:
- Provides input and feedback as requested by the school’s administration.
- Shares parental concerns that affect more than one grade level with the school’s administration.
- Initiates and/or supports fun, community building, and fundraising events throughout the school year. Our biggest effort each year goes toward organizing our wonderful and ever-growing Christmas Bazaar.